Software defined substations – a path towards cost effective and future-proof solutions
Unlike renovating the entire secondary system of power substations, adding software defined functions save time and cost. Retrofitting the virtual Merging Unit running on a Substation Server offers an efficient future proof upgrade. Simply add a substation server, some sensors and the virtual Merging Unit application and get IEC61850 interoperability, advanced measurements, and a future proof platform for virtualized applications.
The potential of moving towards a software defined substation:
- Due to the energy transition TSOs and DSOs move to data driven system operations
- Based on the average age of a substation, typically over 50% of legacy substations is not supporting the digitalization
- Renovation of a secondary system for a substation takes 6 months
- The upgrade of substation automation functionality can be reduced by 50-80% by introducing software defined technology
Table of contents
- Application Example
- Virtual Merging Unit in addition to IEDs for protection
- Software Defined Substation
Download now easily and free of cost!