Smart Grid – efficient rollout and management of 4G LTE routers
The energy industry is in a transition facing various challenges, like growing electricity demand or a decentralized capacity generation. In this context Smart Grid represents the essential part bringing together both sides, supply and demand. Through automation, a continuous optimization and asset management it improves efficiency and reliability for supply of electricity.
Network-communication – a critical success factor for Smart Grid
To realize the potentials of smart grids, a suitable communication infrastructure is key. This is the backbone which is needed to connect all participants in the distributed network and ensure a safe data exchange between the relevant systems and components. In this case the used communication technology (IT & OT) must fulfil the latest standards and be uncomplicated in case of deployment and updates.
Challanges of mass deployment of 4G LTE routers
The deployment of a high number of LTE routers in the field comes not only with the decision for a specific type of router or antenna. It requires a long-term consideration of rollout and management of devices in the field.
The rollout of LTE routers in critical environments comes with a high effort in coordination of staff with specific skills. This can lead to extended reaction times and a lack control. It´s also important to have access to diagnostics to ensuring a proper device maintenance and avoidance of downtimes. Furthermore, the devices must fulfil IT security standards and procedures.
Welotec SMART EMS – Software for mass 4G LTE router deployments
Developed in close cooperation with large DSOs our software solution SMART EMS provides Smart Grid operators a platform for an easy and efficient rollout and management of Welotec 4G LTE routers, securing connectivity and network communication.
The key advantages for Smart Grid operators:
- Easy rollout of devices using zero touch provisioning and automated deployment of firmware updates or device configurations. – Smart Grid operators are enabled to reduce staff effort through remote access and automated processes. No special skills is required for deployment.
- Central device-management decreasing coordination effort in IT and OT – Smart Grid operators benefit from a more efficient processing and less traveling times
- Short reaction times in case of a security risk – 24/7 device access reduces downtimes of connectivity and allows fast trouble shooting for grid reliability
- Improved device monitoring and seamless integration into SCADA – Smart Grid operators are equipped with a complete overview of LTE routers in the field, integrated in the central monitoring system to streamline processes
- Data aggregation for improved diagnostics and better decision making – Collected data of devices can be used to improve device performance and lifetime (e. g. predictive maintenance)
- Possibility to run automated security audits – Smart Grid operators can fulfil security standards without high handling effort
Deployment of 4G LTE Routers with SMART EMS in critical infrastructures